Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Second Job

Writing really is my second job.

I just worked most of the weekend on a short story.
The call for submissions came over the loop by email on August 12 and the due date was August 17 by 11 AM. When I read that email I was scheduled for a business trip the next day. I was in Pittsburgh for my day job until August 14, wiped out and my brain fried by the time I got home Friday evening.

So I set some goals for writing over the weekend and started yesterday morning. By this morning I had almost 4000 words. By this evening I'd reviewed, revised and sent it off.

My WIPs for this month include finishing a second novella for review by my editor at The Wild Rose Press, a Halloween story for a contest (winners to be included in an anthology), two blog interviews and a Christmas story (another call for submissions due the end of this month).

I also want to rewrite Moonstone Magic and send Elizabeth Peacock and the Body on Abbey Road out to agent and an editor who requested partials.

Even if I didn't work full time, that would be a lot to do.

But the feeling I get from completing a writing goal, from sending it off to an editor, is so great I can't wait to get started on the next project.

Writing is my second job and I'm building my credits so that when I retire, writing will be my only job.

No comments:

Post a Comment