Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day One of RWA National in NYC

Thoughts while sitting in the lobby of the Marriott Marquis on Tuesday of the RWA National 2011.


When I’m alone I don’t necessarily want to hear other people’s conversations, whether on the phone or not.

I cannot help but imagine what this lobby with its soaring interior, rooms ringing around where I sit – with a tower of glass elevators behind the bar – I wonder what this would be like if an earthquake suddenly hit. I look around to find the safest place for me – an archway by the Starbucks look the best. However, if the Zombie Apocalypse begins in the next four days, I’m dead, or rather Undead.

My computer is a mess – cat hair in the keyboards – needs to go back to Staples for an oil change.

Why am I sitting in the lobby? So glad you asked. I got up at 2:30 AM so I could meet Dianne and Kathy at 4:45 AM (Dianne driving and she wanted to leave before rush hour which we caught anyway). I was going to get up at 3:30 but I was afraid I would oversleep so when I woke up at 2:30 I decided to stay up. Kathy and Di have their room. I don’t have mine – maybe by 4 – so I’m sitting in the lobby at 9:45 AM wondering if the hotel would be very upset if I pushed two chairs together and curled up for a nappy-poo.

At least not all romance writers are beautiful, young and thin. I’m certainly none of those. Maybe I’m not even a romance writer. I write odd bits of things – mystery/gothic/thriller/paranormal/erotica – not all at once all the time – but I could. I think I could write anything if I put my mind to it. That’s the issue – I need to put my mind to it.

And that last thought has lead me to this one – I do not want to be one of those women (women in romance writers groups – men in scifi groups) who are more fans than writers. But I guess I’m not since I hardly read romance, straight or gay or bi romance. I read mostly mystery/gothic/thriller/paranormal…well, you get what I mean.

My daughter will be going to the Emerald City Romance Writers conference in October. I’m not going. I really would love to spend time with Heather but I’ll be conferenced out after National (going on as I write) and possibly NJRW.

I definitely need to clean this keyboard – I’ve brought at least half a cat with me.

I don't think I've seen anyone famous. Lots of people look familiar – but gee, by the time one’s 64, almost everyone looks familiar. You’ve seen every face at least twice.

I just called the front desk – and the girl that answered didn’t understand what I meant about “getting online” – I had to repeat internet several times. No – not an immigrant…


Glass elevators in the lobby behind the bar area - skirts could be a problem....

No comments:

Post a Comment